Assigned to Adult Day Services/Memory Care located at 2497 7th Avenue East in North St. Paul.
Our Support Service Staff working in the Adult Day Services Program focus on meeting the needs of individuals with intellectual disabilities who are aging, building relationships and community connections, facilitating the use of assistive technology, and offering desired creative activities that promote a healthy, safe, and fun environment.
Specific job duties include:
- Complying with the Adult Day Care standards outlined in Rule 223 and Chapter 245A by providing the necessary support to 38+ ADS clients so that they are engaged in numerous activities on a daily basis;
- Providing input into the ADS clients’ Individual Care Plans, person-centered and person-futures assessments; quarterlies, activity schedules, etc.;
- Capably supporting activities and strategies related to the person-centered planning process, assistive technology, aging, dementia, and Alzheimer’s disease;
- Planning, initiating/leading, and engaging clients in primary daily activities (exercise programs, music, are, gross motor, assistive technology, social skills, etc.);
- Supporting and guiding those volunteers assigned to support the scheduled activity within a designated area;
- Using proactive and positive approaches when addressing challenging behaviors;
- Supporting clients to be actively engaged in their client meetings;
- Completing required documentation;
- Following the health and fitness requirements of the clients as determined by the dietician and physical therapist;
- Attending required Adult Day Services/Memory Care Services staff meetings held once per month;
- Promoting person-centered thinking, futures planning, and relationship and community building;
- Delivering positive written and oral daily communication to client support networks; and
- Demonstrating competency in a variety of areas including: diagnoses, treatments, effective strategies, the links between communication and behaviors; assistive technology, caregiver support, and resources, therapies, and activities.
To be successful in this position, qualified candidates must demonstrate the following skills:
- A strong commitment to the Olmstead decision, self-advocacy principles, person-centered planning, assistive technology, and positive supports when interacting with individuals who are aging and may exhibit challenging behaviors;
- Respectful and fair interactions with clients, coworkers, and outside parties;
- Promotion of individualized and desired services that build relationships within the North St. Paul downtown community;
- The ability to learn quickly and easily adjust to different learning styles;
- The flexibility to adapt to changes in job duties and work schedules;
- A calm demeanor and even temperament to respond effectively to persons who are frustrated, confused, noncompliant, and/or aggressive;
- The ability to de-escalate situations as dictated by the Positive Supports Rule; and
- Knowledgeable about Alzheimer’s/dementia, staying abreast of emerging therapies and techniques and participating in local and regional associations for disease and for caregivers.
To be eligible for this position, candidates must meet the following qualifications:
- High School diploma or GED certificate, with six to twelve months experience working with people who have a developmental disability. A community college AA degree, technical school degree, Human Services degree, or a four year Bachelor of Arts/Science degree is preferred.
- Certification in medication administration, complete medical training as indicated per the clients’ ISP/ICP, CPR and First Aid is required; and
- Meet the physical demands of the position, with or without a reasonable accommodation, including regularly standing, walking, and bending as well as assisting persons with personal cares, ambulation, etc.
Candidates must also pass a criminal background check, a motor vehicle record check, DOT physical, and a drug screen.
This is a part-time position working Monday through Friday for a total of 27.5 hours per week (day hours), and is not eligible for benefits. The hourly rate of pay is between $12.54 and $13.43 DOQ. In addition, new hires that complete their training period are eligible to receive a $1,000 bonus!