DIRECT SUPPORT PROFESSIONAL—LIFE ENRICHMENT
Assigned to Alternative Services located at 3210 Labore Road in Vadnais Heights.
Our Support Service Staff working in the Life Enrichment program support and supervise those adults with intellectual disabilities that are interested in community integration; a variety of therapies (including occupational, art, music, and pet therapy); arts and crafts; social, recreational, and horticultural activities; sensory integration; and assistive technology. Job duties include:
- Supporting individuals with intellectual disabilities while they are engaged in social, community, and therapeutic activities and ensuring their safety and wellbeing;
- Assisting the individuals with a wide range of needs related to communication, personal cares (including eating and toileting), mobility, etc.;
- Implementing a variety of person-centered planning goals;
- Documenting on service delivery, progress on goals, outcomes, and relevant events; and
- Occasionally driving company vehicles.
Qualified candidates must possess the following:
- A minimum of a high school diploma or GED. A community college AA degree, technical school degree, Human Services degree, or a four year Bachelor of Arts/Science degree is preferred;
- A minimum of six to 12 months of work experience supporting individuals with intellectual disabilities;
- Committed to self-advocacy and person-centered planning principles;
- A sincere and passionate desire to work with persons with intellectual disabilities;
- Comfortable and respectful when assisting with personal cares;
- Meet the physical demands of the position, with or without a reasonable accommodation, including regularly standing, walking, and bending as well as assisting persons with personal cares, ambulation, etc.;
- Ability to problem solve and work independently; and
- Basic computer and data entry skills.
Candidates must also pass a criminal background check, a motor vehicle record check, DOT physical, and a drug screen.
Both full-time (40 hours per week, M-F day hours, and benefit eligible) and part-time (27.5 hours per week, M-F day hours, and not benefit eligible) positions are available. The hourly rate of pay starts at $15.00 DOQ. In addition, new hires by 7/1/19 that complete their training period earn a $500.00 award as well as another $500.00 award after completing their ninth month of employment!