Direct Support Professional — Vocational/Enhanced (Part-Time)
Assigned to Enhanced Services located at 3210 Labore Road in Vadnais Heights. Our Direct Support Professionals working in the vocational programs support, train, and supervise adults with intellectual disabilities who are interested in performing facility-based work contracts and/or community-based work opportunities. Specific duties include:
- Training and supervising individuals with intellectual disabilities while they are engaged in work/vocational tasks and occasional rec/leisure activities;
- Overseeing the work performed by the individuals to ensure that they are performing their duties in a manner that meets/exceeds business expectations;
- Implementing a variety of person-centered planning goals and outcomes;
- Documenting on service delivery, progress on goals, outcomes, relevant events, activities, and payroll;
- Assisting with personal cares as needed; and
- Driving company vehicles.
It is also important to note that this position will be working directly with individuals with disabilities who can become frustrated, noncompliant, and/or aggressive. To best ensure the clients’ success while they are working or participating in other activities, this staff must:
- Be sensitive to the clients’ frustrations;
- Demonstrate proactive behavioral approaches;
- Possess excellent behavior management skills and the ability to deal with crisis situations; and
- Basic sign language skills are a plus.
Qualified candidates must possess the following:
- A minimum of a high school diploma or GED. A community college AA degree, technical school degree, Human Services degree, or a four year Bachelor of Arts/Science degree is preferred;
- A minimum of six to 12 months of work experience supporting individuals with intellectual/developmental disabilities is preferred;
- A sincere and passionate desire to work with persons with disabilities;
- Committed to self-advocacy and person-centered planning principles;
- Proven crisis management and de-escalation skills;
- Basic computer and data entry skills;
- Comfortable and respectful when assisting individuals with personal cares;
- Ability to problem solve and work independently;
- Meet the physical demands of the position, with or without a reasonable accommodation, including regularly standing, walking, and bending as well as assisting persons with personal cares, ambulation, etc.; and
- Focused on the quality of work at all times.
Candidates must also pass a criminal background check, a motor vehicle record check, a DOT physical, and a drug screen. The position is part-time (27.5 hours per week, M-F day hours, is not benefit eligible) with the hourly rate of pay starting at $15.00. Position includes paid time off and paid holidays.