Giving to Merrick
As a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, Merrick relies on the generosity of individuals, foundations, and corporate donors to fund a portion of annual operating expenses, buy equipment and technology, make capital improvements, and support programming to enhance job creation, transportation and life enrichment experiences for the clients we serve. Contributions are generally tax deductible.
Did you know that the average daily cost of support services at Merrick is $80.00 per client while the average government reimbursement is $75.00? That’s an annual shortfall of $1,250 per client and more than a $450,000 annual gap for the company. Your support of our mission provides both financial resources needed to close the gap and establishes another connection with our community that strengthens our programs.
The quickest and easiest way to donate to Merrick is online via our general donation form. Unless otherwise stated, all donations collected online will be designated toward our general operations fund. However, if you have a specific purpose in mind for your gift (e.g. fundraising event, life enrichment, self-advocacy, etc.) or if the gift is in honor or in memory of a loved one, please make a note of it in the “Gift Notation” field when completing the form. Gifts of all sizes are appreciated.
Give By Mail
By mail is one of the most popular ways people give to Merrick. Both cash and checks made out to Merrick, Inc, are accepted. Moreover, donations given by mail may be designated toward a specific fund (e.g. client holiday party) or given in honor or in memory of a loved one. If donating by mail, please send to the following address: Karen Herrera, Merrick, Inc., 3210 Labore Road, Vadnais Heights 55110.
Becoming a monthly donor is one of the most efficient and effective ways you can support Merrick. It’s efficient because it requires little effort on your part, and it’s effective because over time it will make a big difference. For example, in one year, a $10 monthly gift will cover the cost of one month’s funding gap. See below for more examples of how your monthly gift will make a lasting impact.
- $5/month covers 12 days of funding gap for 1 client
- $10/month covers 24 days of funding gap for 1 client
- $25/month covers 3 months of funding gap for 1 client
- $50/month covers 6 months of funding gap for 1 client
- $100/month covers 1 year of funding gap for 1 client
To join our Champions Club of monthly givers, please fill out and submit the following online form or contact Megan Kuneli at (651) 789-6207 or MeganK@MerrickInc.org.
A donor-advised fund (DAF) is a type of giving program that allows you to combine the most favorable tax benefits with the flexibility to easily support your favorite charities. An increasingly popular charitable vehicle, DAFs are an excellent way to both simplify your charitable giving and facilitate your strategic philanthropic goals. Here’s how it works.
- Give: Make a tax-deductible donation to a public charity that sponsors a DAF program;
- Grow: Advise the investment allocation of the donated assets (any investment growth is tax-free);
- Grant: Recommend grants to qualified charities of your choice.
To get started, click one of the links below to learn how you can create your own donor-advised fund and recommend a grant to Merrick, Inc., through one of these public charities.
Does your employer match donations to charitable organizations? Check with your Human Resources Department or review program guidelines for details to determine whether a gift to Merrick qualifies for a match. If so, complete the matching gift form/specified process, and send to: Development Department, Merrick, Inc., 3210 Labore Road, Vadnais Heights, MN 55110.
Does your place of employment participate in a United Way campaign? If so, you can designate your United Way contribution to Merrick by submitting a special designation form with your pledge. Be sure to properly designate Merrick, Inc., in Item 2 of the form using the following information: Merrick, Inc., 3210 Labore Road, Vadnais Heights, MN 55110, (651) 789-6200.
Other Ways to Give
Donate In Kind
Merrick, Inc., is always in need of many items and services to enhance client programming and create a more pleasant environment. We welcome in-kind donations of new or used items in good condition. Please take a look at the following wish list to see what types of in-kind donations are most needed.
- Audio/Visual/Computer Equipment
Barbecue Grills and Utensils
Federal and State Flags
Recombinant Exercise Bikes
Printer Ink Cartridges
If you wish to donate an item or services, please contact Development and Communications Director Karen Herrera at KarenH@MerrickInc.org
or (651) 789-6202.
Merrick, Inc., accepts donations of marketable securities like stocks, bonds, and other investment assets. Our policy is to immediately sell all donated securities to generate cash for our mission. Contact Development and Communications Director Karen Herrera at KarenH@MerrickInc.org
or (651) 789-6202 for transfer instructions.
If you are considering a sizeable donation now, or in the form of a legacy at or after your death, you can structure your gift as an endowment that will be invested by Merrick, Inc., and for which only a portion, as designated by you, is used annually. An endowment is the gift that keeps on giving! As an example, with a donation of $10,000 and assuming an average annual net total return of 9% with a distribution for charitable purposes of 5% per year; after 100 years your $10,000 donation will have yielded $1,174,365 to support Merrick, Inc., ($505,049 current principal value + $644,064 cumulative distribution since inception + $25,252 available for current year distribution) and the remaining principal will continue to support the organization's mission into perpetuity!
In Memory or Celebration
Honor the memory of a loved one, a birthday, an anniversary, recovery from an illness, a wedding, or any other occasion by making a special donation to Merrick, Inc. Each special occasion card is inscribed with an appropriate message. It will be signed with your name and sent directly to the individual, group, or entity you designate. The amount of your gift will not be revealed. Send a check and acknowledgement details (occasion, honoree name and address) to: Karen Herrera, Merrick, Inc., 3210 Labore Road, Vadnais Heights 55110 or use our online donation form
and request a special occasion acknowledgement.
Leave a Legacy
Are you planning to leave a donation to charity upon your death? You can leave a legacy to Merrick, Inc., in one or more of the following ways:
- By Will - include a bequest to Merrick, Inc., in your will for an exact dollar amount, a percentage of your estate, or the residual of your estate after all other specified distributions have been made. You can direct your donation to Merrick, Inc., as an unrestricted donation or as a donation to be used for a specific purpose of interest to you.
- Beneficiary of Your Retirement Plan Assets - designate Merrick, Inc., as the beneficiary for all or a percentage of a retirement plan - an IRS 401(k), 403(b), or profit-sharing plan.
- Beneficiary of Your Life Insurance - name Merrick, Inc., as the owner and beneficiary for all or a percentage of a paid-up life insurance policy or of a life insurance policy for which you are still making premium payments.
- By Creating a Life Income - designate Merrick, Inc., as the beneficiary of the remaining assets after you have provided a life income for one or more other specified recipients (e.g., you, your spouse, children or friends). Upon the death of the income recipient(s), the remaining assets will be donated to Merrick, Inc., for the charitable purposes you define. Options include a Charitable Remainder Trust, Charitable Gift Annuity, or Pooled Income Fund. Merrick, Inc, will work with you and your advisors to help find an option that works best for you.
Special Events or Sponsorships
Merrick, Inc., hosts a variety of special events, from small client gatherings to large fundraisers for the whole community. We welcome volunteer assistance and financial support for these events. To learn more contact Karen Herrera, Development and Communications Director, (651) 789-6202 or KarenH@MerrickInc.org.
Meet Our Development & Communications Director
Do you want to schedule a tour or meet personally with someone at Merrick, Inc., to learn more about ways to support the organization? To schedule an appointment, please contact Karen Herrera at (651) 789-6202, or by email at KarenH@MerrickInc.org.
Tax Benefits & Disclaimer
There are substantial tax benefits to donating to Merrick, Inc. If you itemize your deductions, you will be able to deduct the amount of your donations from your taxable income when you file your taxes in the following year. Reducing your taxable income reduces the amount of income tax you pay. To be considered eligible for a tax deduction by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), donations must meet the following five criteria:
- The giver must make the donation to a nonprofit designated by the IRS as a 501(c)(3) corporation, like Merrick, Inc.
- The giver must intend to make the donation with no expectation of anything in return.
- The giver may designate how the donation is used but may not control when the donation is used.
- The giver's right to receive goods/services in return for the donation reduces the amount of tax deduction by the value of the goods and services received.
- Deductions of $250 or more for any one donation must be documented by a written receipt from Merrick, Inc.
- Cash donations are generally 100% tax-deductible. Deductions for cash donations are limited to a total of 50% of your adjusted gross income in any one year, but unused deductions carry forward for up to five years.
Donations of stocks, bonds, and other investment securities are deductible at the fair market value of the security at time of transfer. In addition, no capital gains taxes are owed by you on the transfer of securities to Merrick, Inc. For donations of appreciated property, the maximum deduction in any one year is limited to 30% of your adjusted gross income, but again, any unused deductions can be carried forward for up to five years.
For donations of life insurance, you can claim an income tax deduction for the current cash value of the policy. Any premium payments you make after the policy is donated can also be deducted.
For life income type donations, you may be able to receive a current income tax deduction for the remainder value of the donation. Appreciated securities are excellent assets for life income donations.
For in kind contributions, you may take a deduction equal to the then fair market value of the item donated. Merrick, Inc., will provide a receipt describing the item donated. You and/or your tax preparer will have to determine an appropriate value of the item for tax purposes.
Every January, Merrick, Inc., sends a cumulative annual giving statement for all donations received from the donor in the preceding year for aggregate donations of $200 or more. Receipts for individual donations or annual cumulative gifts of less than $200 are available upon request by contacting Development & Communications Director Karen Herrera at (651) 789-6202, or by email at KarenH@MerrickInc.org.
Disclaimer: Merrick, Inc., is not a tax or estate planning expert, and the information contained herein is not to be considered as tax and financial advice. Consult your own financial or tax advisor to structure any planned giving and to assess the tax impact and proper reporting of any donation for tax purposes.