Life Enrichment for Adults with Disabilities
We offer programming for adults with disabilities beyond developing job opportunities and provide support throughout all stages of adulthood including retirement.
To ensure clients continued access to a full array of services, Merrick leased and renovated a new space at 1239 Willow Lake Boulevard in 2022 and dedicated it exclusively for our life enrichment programs. Willow Lake opened for services in November 2022 and currently provides services for nearly 100 clients.
Willow Lake is a place where everyone deserves the right to live, learn, grow and socialize with others side by side. Clients enrolled at Willow Lake have access to
- community inclusion activities;
- therapeutic experiences including horticulture and music therapy;
- arts and crafts;
- sensory integration;
- social and recreation;
- positive behavior support planning;
- augmented communication including assistive technology; and
- enriched staff-to-client ratios.
Clients at Willow Lake have the opportunity to engage in the community volunteerism, community service and activities. In addition, clients have access to multiple activity settings and individualized schedules to promote emotional, mental, and physical health. For instance, each day clients can choose from a variety of activities such as cooking, sewing, scrapbooking, science experiments, painting, exercise groups, drumming, dancing, and numerous community outings.
Our future expansion plans for Willow Lake include the following:
- providing services for an additional 40 clients;
- building an in-house pottery studio;
- developing an enhanced music therapy program; and
- creating a specialized sensory room.
At Willow Lake, we strive to bring out the best in our clients, yet they end up bringing out the best in us.